If a skier really cares about climate issues, then perhaps it’s a pertinent moment to consider a ski resort with recognised environmental credentials. The ‘Flocon Vert’ (or green snowflake) is one of the most rigorous sustainable labelling schemes devised by Mountain Riders and applies to the whole operation of a ski resort from its transport and infrastructure to its use of renewable energy.
There are 42 different environmental and social criteria with the aim of making it easier for skiers and boarders to choose a more environmentally responsible resort and encourage other resorts to raise their environmental game.
Villars is the first ski resort in Switzerland and one of only three resorts in the Alps to be awarded the Flocon Vert!
Villars is one of the 10 most eco-friendly resorts globally with a host of projects underway to ensure it keeps it’s top spot protecting the environment on which the village’s tourist trade relies.
We strive to make our client offering at Chalet Balthazar as sustainable as possible:
- Walk everywhere! There is no need to have a car when staying at Chalet Balthazar.
- Take the train directly to Chalet Balthazar and cut carbon emissions by up to 90% (14kg CO2 per person by train compared with 82kg CO2 per person if flying).
- Hop on local electric busses and benefit from low energy snow making systems.
- Electricity and gas at Chalet Balthazar are sourced sustainably.
- We employ local staff who walk to work.
- Our laundry service has zero miles to travel.
- We refill soap bottles and recycle everything.
So this winter why not pick a ski resort that is actively engaged in progressive operational practices and climate policy lobbying helping to preserve our environment.
Come and visit Chalet Balthazar this season, take away a thousand memories and leave behind only snowy footprints ….